Dental implants are small titanium screws or rods placed in the upper or lower jaw to support a crown or denture. The implant procedure is very comfortable and performed in an office setting. Implants can often be placed immediately into the extraction site of the tooth to be replaced if there is adequate bone remaining. The procedure typically takes less than 45 minutes and can include oral sedation, should the patient desire it. However, a ride must be arranged to and from the office. The recovery time is only one or two days, allowing the patient to return to normal activities quickly.
Dr. Hornaday uses the Zimmer Dental Implant System in his office. There are many implants on the market, but we prefer Zimmer for the results we can obtain and the ease of restoration by your dentist. In most cases, your impression will be taken on the day of implant placement, which minimizes your time in the dentist's chair and reduces your time without your final crown.
Some benefits to implants:
- When you have a gum area where teeth are missing, your bone starts to erode. By placing a dental implant, this virtually eliminates the loss of bone and lends to a healthier mouth.
- An implant eliminates the need to cut down or prepare healthy teeth when replacing adjacent teeth.
- Dental implants can secure a denture in place that would be otherwise ill-fitting. This greatly reduces the tissue irritation and alleviates any worry that a denture may fall out.
- Depending on your situation, you may not have adequate bone, and a bone graft may be required prior to implant placement. At the time of your consultation, you will be evaluated for the presence of adequate bone and advised if a bone graft will be necessary.
- Types of dental implants include single tooth implants, multiple tooth implants, and full arch dental implants that support dentures.
If you have questions regarding implants or want to schedule a consultation, please call our office at (765) 289-9705, and we will more than happy to assist you.